Man, we are having one heck of a heat streak in Colorado! Being from the Sonoran desert I didn’t feel the effects of the heat quite as much as some of my colleagues but I have to admit it was a bit toasty! I was definitely the only one sitting at the pool in my office attire eating lunch in the sun. Once a desert rat, always a desert rat if you ask me. ????
We are discussing smoothies on this fine Friday morning. Who doesn’t like a good smoothie? They are great as meal substitutes as well as just refreshing! I always keep ingredients in my freezer if I get the itch for the fruity drink. They are also one of those drinks that are extremely customizable. You can add chia seeds ( one of my favorites ), flax seeds, matcha, a number of different fat burner ingredients and protein powder just to name a few. I think at Jamba Juice you can even add shots of concentrated juices that pack a punch of antioxidants.
Today I am showing you how I make my own tropical smoothie without the muss and fuss of prepping a bunch of veggies and fruits. It is so simple it’s almost like you are doing something wrong, and man I love that feeling! ???? This is also my go to when I am having a baking day and I don’t necessarily have the time or want to stop and make a full blown lunch. I whip one of these up right before I start baking and it keeps me full for several hours of work in the kitchen. I worked with a chef a number of years ago that came into work every morning at 7 a.m. with a kale smoothie that kept her full well into the afternoon. Let me know in the comments if this quenched your thirst as much as your appetite and make sure to share with all of your friends and family!
Also if you want to make sure to never miss a My Daily Knead post follow my Instagram and Facebook as I am pretty active on both platforms. If you are interested in any trips I may take I post all of my pics from my travels on Insta as well! Stay cool my friends!
P.S You will need my watermelon sorbet recipe that will literally blow your mind and taste buds.
My Favorite Superfood Smoothie
- 2 Tsp. Chia seeds
- 3 Pieces Kale leaves, ripped and frozen
- 2 Cups Fruit, frozen I used a mix of pear, plum and mango that gave the smoothie a subtle earthy flavor
- 3 Cups orange juice
- 1 Banana, frozen
- 1 Scoop watermelon sorbet
- 1) I love this recipe because it is so easy to whip up really quick before I start baking. I try not to eat what I am baking before it is complete and this definitely helps with that issue. Clean your kale leaves and rip into pieces before placing in your blender. I pre-froze some kale that I grew in my garden so I had a bag of kale already prepared but you could also buy a blend of mix greens at your local supermarket. I have used both types of greens and the only difference is there is an earthy taste if you choose to use spinach.
- 2) Add remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until completely smooth. I noticed that if you keep blending the smoothie for a couple minutes it becomes lighter in texture and more like something you would buy in Jamba Juice! Enjoy immediately!